yepmeatless

Thursday, March 17, 2005

toasted owl

Toasted Owl
Route 9, Northampton

Atmosphere
: Confused

Dark wood paneling with high recessed ceilings. I think a touch too upscale for the amount of TVs with sports on them. I have to admit I loved the ceilings, warm but distant like a proper New England family.

If I had to describe this place in one word I would go with pub. A bar with a decent sized menu and quite enough to have a conversation. It's as close as I've found to the English pubs that were the highlight of my last visit to London. (I'm not trying to be like "oh, I've been to London", more like a dig toward the filthy, confusing, quietly condescending city).

What was eaten:
Cheese fries minus the bacon
Caesar salad
Wild mushroom pizza

To drink:
Pabst Blue Ribbon

Cheese fries- Yum! Real cheese that was magically not greasy. The serving is probably enough for three or four.

Caesar salad- Pretty hard to mess up I know, but you would be surprised. Crisp lettuce, just the right amount of dressing and nothing fancy added on. I hate that. You don’t mess with a classic.

Wild mushroom pizza- After I picked the mushrooms off it was pretty tasty. Maybe a little too spicy, but I didn't order it so I can't really complain.

Pabst Blue Ribbon- an ode to PBR, by Carrie
The cheapest of grog
And lighter than fog.
When you call it swill,
I feel the urge to kill.

Overall:
Beer selection- Great (PBR and The High Life on one menu, fucking awesome).
Value- Huge portions at a decent price. Way to contribute to America's collective weight problem, Toasted Owl.
Veg selection- There were a few different kinds of pizza, salads and sides. Not terribly impressive, but I didn't go hungry. There was no problem changing menu items to make them vegetarian. This is probably not where I would go if I wanted a real vegetarian dinner, but for snack and some beer I would defiantly go back.

1 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, March 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the "ode to PBR" but is the vulgar language in the rest of the piece really necessary?? I don't think so!!! You wit and insightful commentary is appreciated and enjoyed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home